Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Laugh Factory Experience

Well, I have a new found respect for comedienes who do stand up, I tried it for the first time last night, and I was stopped before getting started, but, perhaps that was a good thing, because in retrospect I realized that I had over rehearsed, where with stand up (I think), it's more about seeming as though you're "winging it" and the necessity for trust..And I had just reviewed too much, treating my material as if it were a script, since it was my maiden voyage down the path of Stand Up...I'll probably try it again...I've got enough material...One thing I learned that it's more informal than formal, and that's where I have to come from next time I try. There was a large display of talent last night, except for me of course, in the area of stand up...And it was great to see so many females including a ballsy 60 year old, and a husband and wife team, and a black parapalegic, who gave a great performance in just how he maneuvered his wheel chair to get up on stage, all were unique and refreshing, particularly a fresh faced Asian American female, and a couple of white chicks, one in particular did a great take on the dating scene...and the other a tall blond was very bold in using Aids in a positive way because of her parents profession...Lots of good talent...

Also some of my words were too risque for the Laugh Factory in Hollywood, so when I try again, I think I know what material I'll use...But I'm not giving up, not by a long shot...I know there's a seed for success in nailing Stand Up...It may take me a while to find it, but I will, as long as I don't give up...

After I finish reading Sidney Poitier's "spiritual autobiography", "The Measure Of A Man" which has already had a positive impact to carry on, in spite of, particularly the chapter "Destruction or Resurection?...It's a remarkable book and last night after I had "bombed", I searched for it, and couldn't find it, until this morning, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Have a great day, and a good day is acceptable too.

No comments:

Post a Comment