Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Scamming of Artists and Workers Who Work on Commission...

Readers,
             First I must apologize for venting on this beautiful Sunday...However, there seems to be an overly abundance of interest in regards to my securing a job, after being, wrongly fired without cause, other than the fact of my gender, which led to my suing the company, and settling out of court for an amount that was a mere fraction of what I brought in to the company in just under 3 years...The sum was approximately 8 million that I had raised ON COMMISSION ONLY SALES...When I was first hired by this company which shall go nameless due to the threat of  unjustifiable financial retaliation...They were struggling...The owner praised me for bringing in large sums of money...Suddenly I was let go after developing their path to success...Earning I suspect more than folks with a college degree...
Not long after my dismissal I went to another company, also working ON COMMISSION,  that was selling an identical product to the company that decided to fire me...They hired me expecting that I would bring my hundreds of clients over to their domain so they could reap the similar benefits as their competition (the company I was previously fired from) which I did not do because in my opinion, it was ethically wrong..
I had to fight for unemployment that I had paid in to during my success as a sales account representative...And after several hearings I finally was able to receive what was rightfully mine...My Unemployment Benefits...You may ask why would a company fire a person that is doing well?  Which is a reasonable question.  Since they had a library of my recorded pitches, they had the where withall to expand bringing in several new male account reps and opening a second office, rather than keep someone that cared more about their clients receiving what they paid for than earning commission...(Imagine that!)
Now I believe would be a good time to announce that I have been working since I was 13 (after school at HL Green) I am now 70 (Perhaps I don't look it, thanks to the grace of our Creatir and also the fact that I don't mind working, I am not a slacker...Also I watch what I eat and I excercise which many of you know by now...
However, soon after my firing I got a call from a company soliciting me for a so called job opportunity of a life time, a company that happily announces that their acronym stands for Alcholics Finally Landing A Career.and I selcome drink alcohol except on rare social occassion, (I admit it I am somewhat of a recluse)..This was B2B sales...and again I brought in more new accounts than any one else on my team...
Now I suspect, and this is an allegation, that these commission sales once they find an exceptional sales person with integrity will get rid of them, forcing we poor schleps to go door to door knocking selling insurance that promises to be of benefit to the consumer...Let me say that there are some, not in the majority unfortunately in my opinion, of Insurance Companies that are perhaps honorable...
I recently was emailed an appointment for a work fair which I attended and they had an individual that supposedly was a Career Counselor who was to interview potential candidates, this person was so heavy handed in her approach, repeatedly mentioning that they were only interested in candidates with a 4 year college degree...To sell Insurance Door to Door? I did not have the desired college degree...I spent an enjoyable summer semester in 2007 at LACC receiving an A on my final paper, and though I had been accepted to two fine institutions during the last century I did not attend either.  Rather I became a working actress and like most artists, particularly Actors and Actresses (viva la difference rather than the collective swooping of both male and female gender together  I prefer noting the gender difference, but that's just me)...
Getting back to my job search, of which 99.9 % of the jobs being offered today required a degree, which is upsurd in my opinion in sales...In fact I suspect that these companies are offering nothing...It's your time, gas and car being used, often paying for office space, and I believe this is directly in conjunction with our current messed up educational system, since I have been inundated with unsolicited phone calls from all over the country offering me a way to further my Education, by getting in to debt.  I know I am not the only one that has been approached....Since 90% of the actors and actresses are unemployed on any given day, we actors are looked as Fodder for these companies, usually insurance companies, at least in my case, yet not all.  They like the fact that actors can and do communicate, that's what we do for a living, COMMUNICATE!!!  Like many trained artists we have been educated in our craft.  Unfortunately due to the overwhelming amount of Reality TV shows, which in my opinion should be placed on one single cable network, and go at it, and restore true entertainment to the viewing audience.  I am an actress, writer, director and producer, who has in my humble opinion like many other actors and actresses, craftspeople, etc. deserve to earn a living and if we need a 9-5 job to support us during the lean times, so be it, but make it a reasonable salaried offer!  You know, I'm just saying, because you've got GREAT TALENT (not speaking of myself) going to waste when you conglomrates only concentrate on the bottom line and wonder why you feel so miserable making more than enough money than you need...HOW ABOUT GIVING TO ARTISTS AND FRIENDS!!! This is just one more reason why things need to be revamped, and how about restoring our Privacy...I spoke a manager and was told that all phone calls are recorded by phone companies, if you don't want to be recorded you must state so before hand, and of course we know that they will abide by our wishes...WE ARE FIGHTING FOR NOT ONLY OUR FREEDOMS, BUT THE FUTURE OF YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN TOO...YOUR FAMILY....AND YES, WE ARE ALL FAMILY.

No comments:

Post a Comment